[Israel.pm] music

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 06:45:11 PDT 2007

Hi,

This may or may not be related to Perl ...

I'm playing in a band and we are trying to write down our songs in a
simple way which the whole band would understand. I'm not talking
necessarily about musical notation, but more about a simple tab-like
representation of parts which every instrument plays. The important
part is the synchronization of all instruments and lyrics.

I don't want anything ultra-fancy, like Cubase.

I tried to simply use a word processor - i created a document with a
table which a has a row for every instrument and a column for every
bar, but after just half a song it proved to be inflexible and very
hard to maintain.

I need some generic format in which i can choose which parts to print
and how will they look.

I can create my own XML format which describes the parts and write a
Perl script that outputs it as an HTML table. But i don't want to
reinvent the wheel, so my question is: Has anyone done anything like
this?

Thanks in advance.

--
Amir Elisha Aharoni