[Israel.pm] system() platform dependant issue

Yuval Yaari yuval at windax.com
Sun Sep 10 01:44:57 PDT 2006

guy keren wrote:
> symlinking /bin/sh to something that is not compatible with bourne shell
> is not posix.

That'd be a great point if perl only worked on POSIX compliant systems ;)
On MacOSX /bin/sh used to be symlinked to zsh (BUT zsh is pretty
Bourne-compliant, possibly enough to make it POSIX).
> if you changed /bin/sh on any of your machines, you've done something
> that no responsible sys admin would ever do. all scripts supplied with
> unix systems rely on /bin/sh to parse the syntax of bourne shell
> properly.

I didn't.
Then again, I've seen systems with /bin/sh linked to tcsh (or zsh, like
in OSX).
I don't know who did it, so I can't say if the sysadmin was responsible ;-)

  ~Y