[Israel.pm] Perl/MySQL/Unicode skilled developer wanted in Oslo, Norway

Kjetil Kjernsmo kjetilk at opera.com
Mon Oct 23 08:00:31 PDT 2006

Hi all!

So, why am I writing from so far away? Because those who write Hebrew
and/or Arabic scripts will have an advantage over all others.

The thing is that we're looking for someone to for the development team
of http://my.opera.com/ And since that person is going to replace me,
so that I can go to the specs team, I have a particular interest in
finding that person fast! :-)

So, here's the job:
http://www.opera.com/company/jobs/opening.dml?id=25

Basically, it is a lot of Perl, quite a lot of XSLT (but Perl is more
important), and a lot of MySQL.

But the thing is that we have some really bad Unicode stuff that we
don't really wrap our heads around, because all of us normally live in
a Latin1 world. And what's particularly bad is that right-to-left
scripts are really broken. Which is a disgrace, because we have quite a
lot of Israeli users (if they haven't left us by now...) and a number of
Iranian users, and the potential is probably a lot bigger if we can
have good support. I'm embarrassed to admit that I tried to fix it
but failed. The problem is that you guys see immediately what's wrong
and right, I have to ask someone, which takes a day.

So, that's why I'm writing directly to you. We need someone to fix the
Unicode and RTL stuff, and what's better than someone who knows that
natively? And of course, there are lots of other development stuff, so
it is not the only qualification, but it makes you stand out from the
crowd.

If anyone feels up to the task, please fire off an application. The
Human Resources folks here say that it is not very easy to get people
from outside Europe in with a work permit and stuff, but we're allready
some 39 nations or something here, they are good at it, and she
promised me she'll try her best if she can get the right applicants.

Also, feel free to send this email around to Perl folks with strong
Unicode skills.

Best,

Kjetil
--