[Israel.pm] Good Perl programmer for hire

Yona Shlomo yona at cs.technion.ac.il
Fri Oct 13 13:18:46 PDT 2006

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, guy keren wrote:

> just one question - what's this issue with "perl jobs"? jobs are not
> about a language - they are about what you develop with it. why should a
> programmer limit him/herself to one language?

Good developers are not limited by a programming language,
at least to some extent. They are expected to pick-up a new
language and after some time in  reasonable learning curve,
do the job.
However, there are some cases where it is nice to be able to
select the tool to do the job.

> when you get to systems, eventually the experience with similar systems
> is often more valuable then the experience with the specific language.

Yes, and since Perl is traditionally being used most in a
few domains, selecting a job by the language is also a way
to say that these domains are the direction. I think.

> having said that - what would you call a "perl job"?

A definition can be something like:
A job where the main programming language for writing code
is Perl.

--
Shlomo Yona
yona at cs.technion.ac.il