[Israel.pm] Implicit $self variable without Source Filters

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Mon Nov 6 11:34:59 PST 2006

Hi all!

During the last meeting we discussed the fact that Moose was pretty cool, but
it still didn't have the Spiffy feature in which one does not have to write
my $self = shift; at the beginning of methods. Now Spiffy uses a source
filter for this.

Today this made me think whether it can be achieved without a source filter.
And indeed it can. By wrapping the method in a closure which localises $self
to the first argument (and passes the rest to the closure), one can have an
implicit $self. Here's the code:

<<<<<<<<<<<
#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;

package MyClass;

sub new
{
    my $class = shift;
    my $self = {};
    bless $self, $class;

    $self->{msg} = shift;

    return $self;
}

our $self;

sub add_implicit_self
{
    my $sub_name = shift;
    my $sub_ref = \&{$sub_name};
    {
        no strict 'refs';
        no warnings 'redefine';

        ${__PACKAGE__."::"}{$sub_name} = sub {
            local $self = shift;
            return $sub_ref->(@_);
        };
    }
}

sub print_message
{
    my $uc = shift;

    my $msg = $self->{msg};
    if ($uc)
    {
        $msg = uc($msg);
    }

    print "$msg\n";
}

sub set_message
{
    $self->{msg} = shift;
}

add_implicit_self('print_message');
add_implicit_self('set_message');

package main;

my $o1 = MyClass->new("Hello");
$o1->print_message();

my $o2 = MyClass->new("Naomi");
$o2->print_message(1);
$o2->print_message();

$o1->set_message("Yowza");
$o1->print_message(1);

The downsize of this is that $self is a global and that the SUPER, NEXT, etc.
meta-methods may be broken. But I still think it's pretty cool.

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il