[Israel.pm] segmentation fault in regex

Yossi.Itzkovich at ecitele.com Yossi.Itzkovich at ecitele.com
Sun Mar 12 09:44:28 PST 2006

I agree that a core dump is a good solution, but in this case there was no
core file generated. I don't know why.

Yossi

             Mikhael Goikhman
             <migo at homemail.co
             Sent by:                  perl at perl.org.il
             perl-bounces at perl                                          cc
             .org.il
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Israel.pm] segmentation fault
             12/03/2006 18:18          in regex

             Please respond to
              Perl in Israel
             <perl at perl.org.il

On 12 Mar 2006 16:22:23 +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> I see. Is there anything the perl core hackers can do to prevent perl
from
> crashing if it ran out of stack?

Theoretically they may trap SIGSEGV (this is the signal thrown here,
that is "Invalid memory reference", not necessarily stack related).
But I can't immediatelly say whether it may work in this specific case;
at least I can't trap it in a perl script that ran out of stack.

There is a possibility that perl indeed has bugs that lead to quick stack
overflow, in which case you (and the developers) do want core dumped to
debug the problem.

Regards,
Mikhael.