[Israel.pm] segmentation fault in regex

Mikhael Goikhman migo at homemail.com
Sun Mar 12 08:18:17 PST 2006

On 12 Mar 2006 16:22:23 +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> I see. Is there anything the perl core hackers can do to prevent perl from
> crashing if it ran out of stack?

Theoretically they may trap SIGSEGV (this is the signal thrown here,
that is "Invalid memory reference", not necessarily stack related).
But I can't immediatelly say whether it may work in this specific case;
at least I can't trap it in a perl script that ran out of stack.

There is a possibility that perl indeed has bugs that lead to quick stack
overflow, in which case you (and the developers) do want core dumped to
debug the problem.

Regards,
Mikhael.