[Israel.pm] segmentation fault in regex

Yossi.Itzkovich at ecitele.com Yossi.Itzkovich at ecitele.com
Sun Mar 12 04:53:08 PST 2006

Thanks Eli && Shlomi for your responses.

The complex regex was originally taken from perldoc FAQ how to remove C/C++
comments. May be I modified it a little (it was 2 years ago, so I don't

I am ready to simplify it, as long as it does what it has (no more , no

             Eli Billauer
             <eli at billauer.co.
             il>                                                        To
             Sent by:                  Perl in Israel <perl at perl.org.il>
             perl-bounces at perl                                          cc
                                       Re: [Israel.pm] segmentation fault
             12/03/2006 14:49          in regex
             Please respond to
              Perl in Israel
             <perl at perl.org.il

This is what my Perl v5.6.1 had to say:

$ perl regex_segfault.pl  test_file.txt
Complex regular subexpression recursion limit (32766) exceeded at
regex_segfault.pl line 7, <FILE> chunk 1.

Your Perl probably wasn't as polite. Maybe you want to downgrade? ;)

My hunch is that you've used an excessively complicated regex to do
something (I'm not in the mood for deciphering that expression).

Maybe tell us what you want to do, and we'll play "who's got the
prettiest regex" on it? ;)

Yossi.Itzkovich at ecitele.com wrote:

>OK, let's try.
>The file is at ftp://ftp.ecitele.com/outgoing/inf_vie.htm
>The code:
>#! /usr/local/bin/perl -w
>my $name=shift;
>open (FILE,$name) or die "BLA\n";