[Israel.pm] Shortage (or Perceived Shortage) of P-Languages Programmers in Israel (and Elsewhere)

Mike Freedman michael.freedman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 01:55:52 PDT 2006

Good question - why .NET and not Perl. Simple really....

I had been using Perl as part of my previous jobs. Networking mainly...I am
very good at networking, making things stick together with Perl. As an
example, I created an entire backup system using Perl with a simple command
line interface. It was very "simple", but the backbone was detailed. Because
I used it as part of a job and it wasn't the job itself, I found it very
hard to get a full time Perl programmers position, considering that most
positions wanted a number years of experience. Plus I had never used
Mod_Perl or OO in Perl in commercial (even though I had played with it in my
own time). I know I am good - but no-body was willing to give me a try. In
the mean time, someone introduced me to C# - and given I knew all about OOP,
I gelled with it well and found a company that was willing to take me on as
a full time programmer. A year and a bit later I am still here.

How does it compare? Perl is much more flexable. You don't have to declare
variable types, you don't have to program in OO - there are 1001 different
ways to do the same thing and above all else its free and community based
(as this forum prooves). After using C#, ADO.NET and .NET framework for a
year now - I find it very powerful with doing very little. You can produce
window based apps in no time at all. Also - the fact that the language is
tied in to the dev environment (where all you need for Perl is textpad and
some imagination), makes life in respect of debugging code, implimentation
much more powerful and simpler.

OH - and for a laugh, there is the concept of regex in C#, but for the
syntax, it tells you to look at Perl docs ;)

The thing I have learned is that anyone can learn a language and produce a
simple app - not everyone is a good programmer though! To learn how to
program and produce commerical products takes a skill. I must have it - I am
here still a year later!!

Given 1/2 a chance though I would be in Israel with Komodo having a good
time.