[Israel.pm] Shortage (or Perceived Shortage) of P-Languages Programmers in Israel (and Elsewhere)

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sun Jun 25 14:42:41 PDT 2006

Hi Mr. Freedman!

In addition to the excellent advice that Guy has given...

On Sunday 25 June 2006 19:50, Mike Freedman wrote:
> Ok I am looking to make Aliyah, I do C#, SQL, ADO, .NET V1.1 etc... I
> transfered to these because I didnt think that perl was a wanted skill
> over here in the UK.

For a while it felt a bit like this was the case in Israel too. (re Perl).
Perhaps the bottom of this trend was at YAPC::Israel::2005 to which
relatively few people came. Of course, it may have been just a feeling and
there may have been some mostly perl jobs if you knew where to look, or had
enough connections. It's hard for me to tell.

Right now, it seems though that there are plenty of perl jobs (or such where
perl programmers will be preferable or acceptable[1]) which you can get if
you have the right connections or heard about in the right places. Some of
which are also advertised in the newspaper, mainly for QA and stuff.

Diverting a bit I should note that I'd like to hear what a Perl programmer
thinks about .NET. Many FOSS or FOSS-oriented developers seems to like .NET,
but some people distaste it or think it's too Microsoftish. My only
experience with .NET was a couple of patches to F-Spot, which is an image
management app (similar to Picasa, but still incomplete) written in Gtk#.

> I guess in Israel things are different. I havent
> sone perl for a while but used to use it all the time (in sys
> development).

Do you mean sys admin? QA? Or system development like Guy said.

> How would I find a job in Israel - I am looking. If I
> can get a good enough one, then I would move over there sooner than
> later

Look for what Guy said.

BTW, if you're looking to become a more proficient programmer, check my advice
at:

http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/philosophy/advice-for-the-young/ [2]

Especially the links at the bottom and elsewhere.

[1] - It's like Google prefer to hire Python programmers for Java positions. I
also know of two shops where most of their scripts are in Python, who hired a
friend of mine who is a Perl hacker.

[2] - Some people claimed I said roughly the same things as ESR's "How to
become a Hacker". While this have a grain of truth to it, I believe that my
highlights were different and there were also some ommissions from there.

There was also a nice document written by an Indian programmer as a response
to Joel Spolsky's article (
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/CollegeAdvice.html ) which got
Slashdotted, but I misplaced the link to the Slashdot article. (and Google's
no help). If anyone can find the link, I'd apreciate it.

> On 25/06/06, Shlomi Fish <shlomif at iglu.org.il> wrote:
[ Snip]

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il

bottom 5%.