[Israel.pm] new module for CPAN: Getopt::Long::String

Yuval Kogman nothingmuch at woobling.org
Tue Jan 31 03:08:45 PST 2006

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 12:58:13 +0200, Jason Elbaum wrote:
> > I expected to get either an error or the unparsed part in one item.
> > It was suprising that the function silently removes the unparsed part.
>
> It just goes to show that just because a module is in CPAN, or even in
> the standard distribution, doesn't mean it's "industrial quality".
> Often code was good enough for the purposes of the author when he
> wrote it, but not necessarily for you in any specific application.
>
> Reuse code - but only after you study and test the modules you're reusing!

I'd like to amend to Mikhael's important observation and Jason's
conclusion - since this is opensource you can have this stuff fixed.

While Text::ParseWords needs to remain backwards compatible, but
there's no reason for it to be deprecated and replaced with a module
that dies on bad input, to help the user forget about error
handling.

 /\  kung foo master: /me tips over a cow: neeyah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!