[Israel.pm] new module for CPAN: Getopt::Long::String

Yuval Kogman nothingmuch at woobling.org
Mon Jan 30 03:58:05 PST 2006

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 11:48:38 +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:

> Well, having this functionality would mean installing 2 new modules for
> me, since String::Escape is not in the core perl. And personally I don't
> really need this. I usually either already have an array of options
> (just not necessarily in @ARGV) or should parse the command line myself
> (string2list is good in many cases, but not all). I guess I need one
> more trivial module Getopt::Long::Array for this. ;)

Doesn't Getopt::Long support this already?

Also, wrt installing new modules - reinventing wheels is not better.
I think installing as many dependencies as viable is actually a good
idea (as long as they aren't hard to install, like Math::PARI),
because that encourages people to reuse more (if a module you didn't
know you needed is already installed it's not a chore).

This is very important for programmers who are just starting - they
usually do not have the module using habits more experienced
programmers do, and making this slightly easier is a Good Thing,
IMHO.

 /\  kung foo master: /me has realultimatepower.net: neeyah!!!!!!!!!!!!