[Israel.pm] [OT] Measuring & working with build metrics

Madani, Srikanth, VF-DE Srikanth.Madani at vodafone.com
Mon Jan 16 08:18:52 PST 2006

Greetings all!

I'm in the process of collecting information describing the various
metrics recorded during large software builds, and what one may achieve
after monitoring this data over a period of time.

E.g. build times (perhaps broken up into various sub-sections of
language, database access etc.), post-build processes like stripping,
archiving etc., time to insert and retrieve sources from repository,
number of products (binaries, libraries, Make files etc.), number of
files checked in per day, number of build failures (perhaps divided into
development areas).

Of course, along with the parameters to be measured, I would like to
know the reason for measuring them.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Srikanth Madani
ps: What's the Perl connection - well, gathering this information will
largely be automated, and I'll strive to (& most probably will)
implement it in Perl ;-)