[Israel.pm] best and easy mysql module

Yuval Kogman nothingmuch at woobling.org
Thu Jan 12 00:13:28 PST 2006

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 09:52:44 +0200, Yossi.Itzkovich at ecitele.com wrote:
> Hi ,
> I want to start and use mySql.  Which is the best and easy module to use ?
> Is there pure Perl module ?

Yes, there is a pure perl module, but it's not very widely used.

What platform are you on? It shouldn't be a problem to install
DBD::mysql anywhere- windows has PPMs, cygwin can compile, and on
any unix it's usually a breeze.

Here are pure perl layers for interacting with mysql:

Personally I reccomend using

to start with DBI, and then migrate to DBD::mysql only when you need
it - it should make your work a little easier.

Here is a nice introduction to DBI:

After you start getting familiar with the way DBI works you should
probably look into DBIx::Class or Tangram on the CPAN, to help you
save time when writing database applications.

These are much easier to use than plain DBI/SQL because they can do
about 90% of the sql sent to the server in practice automatically,
and you don't even have to worry about the dialect, etc.

 /\  kung foo master: /me climbs a brick wall with his fingers: neeyah!