[Israel.pm] Reading tab deleimiterd Hebrew file saved by Excel

Omer Zak omerz at actcom.co.il
Thu Feb 23 05:44:01 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 15:28 +0200, Gabor Szabo wrote:
> I have an Microsof Excel file with hebrew text in it.
> It was saved on Windows as tab delimitered file and I am trying to
> read that on Unix
> with Spreadsheet::ParseExcel.
>
> The problem is that it seems MS Excel is saving the file in cp1252 and
> it replaces
> some of the characters in the 128-256 range to be Hebrew characters.
>
> We could I guess write a function that replaces thos characters with
> the appropriate
> UTF8 characters but I guess someone has either solved this or has a
> better idea what
> to do.

Does your Unix installation have iconv?
If yes, try it.
(DISCLAIMER:  I did not test my own advice, as I do not have now a
working MS-Excel installation on my PC).

By the way, the CP Hebrew encoding is CP1255 (also WINDOWS-1255), not
CP1252 - unless I am mistaken.
                                          --- Omer
--
Eli Marmor's Law:  netiquette forbids people from replying "I agree with