[Israel.pm] utf-8 and Hebrew

Oded Arbel oded-linux at typo.co.il
Fri Feb 3 02:32:34 PST 2006

On Thursday 02 February 2006 14:08, Peter Gordon wrote:
> I have text in a string which is utf-8 and contains some Hebrew
> characters.
>
> When I print the text in an xterm or xemacs, I can see the text, but it
> displays backwards. When I send it to a web browser it appears
> correctly. The only thing that concerns me is the appearance in the
> browser, so I don't mind how it appears in the xterm or xemacs.

Note that for Hebrew text to display correctly (assuming you're not using the
outdated and obsolete "visual ordering" method), you need to have your
program (xterm, XEmacs or browser) implement the BiDi algorithm as defined in
the Unicode standard. While most web browsers to day (with the notable
exception of some console based browsers) implement this method, not so many
other software do - as a rule of thumb, if the application is based on some
very commonly used _modern_ graphical toolkit, such as gtk+ or qt, then it
will support displaying Hebrew correctly. Otherwise the developers have to
implement it internally, and being that BiDi is a complicated algorithm and
its only used by a small subset of computer users, most likely nobody
bothered with it.

If you're looking for a graphical terminal that is "BiDi aware" , I suggest
you take a look at konsole, though using it with BiDi text tends to make a
mess of applications that require precise screen control, such as mc and
emacs.