[Israel.pm] utf-8 and Hebrew

Peter Gordon peter at pg-consultants.com
Thu Feb 2 04:08:45 PST 2006

I have text in a string which is utf-8 and contains some Hebrew
characters.

When I print the text in an xterm or xemacs, I can see the text, but it
displays backwards. When I send it to a web browser it appears
correctly. The only thing that concerns me is the appearance in the
browser, so I don't mind how it appears in the xterm or xemacs.

I then append some text in English. When I view the text in the browser,
some of the text is not in the correct place. It rather looks like it
doesn't know whether to add the text as Hebrew or English.

Is there any way of forcing appended text to have a given starting
direction?

Thanks

Peter