[Israel.pm] Perl GUis

Gaal Yahas gaal at forum2.org
Sun Dec 3 04:03:22 PST 2006

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 11:55:53AM +0200, Jason Elbaum wrote:
> Can anyone recommend for or against any of the GUi packages available
> for Perl? (See, for example,
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Perl_GUI_programming)

I'm partial to GTK+ (Gtk2 for the Perl bindings on CPAN). It
creates appealing UIs that work well on mainstream displays
and scales well both upwards and downwards, so you can develop
for very high DPI as well as handheld displays.

It renders text extremely well with the Pango library (BiDi,
complex scripts etc.).

> My experience with Perl/Tk is that it's clumsy, unintuitive and too
> verbose, not to mention visually ugly. Is there anything better?
>
> I'm only interested in Unix/X-Windows, not MS-Win.

If one day you do become interested in Windows, GTK works there too,
and can produce apps that look native.

--
Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org>
http://gaal.livejournal.com/