[Israel.pm] minimal "must-know" modules list for Perl programmer

Jason Elbaum jason.elbaum at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 03:33:30 PDT 2006

There's only one possible answer to this: It depends.

What a programmer "must know" depends on what that programmer "must
do". I have no use for CGI or DB. Someone else may have no use for XML
or sockets. Most of CPAN implements niche functionality of one sort or
another. So do many of the core modules.

Personally, I rarely use any of the modules. Off the top of my head,
I'd mention IO::Handle, File::Basename and Data::Dumper. But it's far
more useful in my book to have as thorough and sophisticated an
understanding as possible of Perl itself.

Jason Elbaum