[Israel.pm] RFC: OSDClub

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Tue Aug 8 23:31:04 PDT 2006

Hi all!

I just talked with one of the organisers of the OSDC in Australia, and she
said that they decided that they liked the conference so much that they
decided to have an Open Source Developers Club (or OSDClub). What happens is
that once every month or two months, one of the clubs (Perl, Python, PHP,
etc.) hosts a meeting that is common to all clubs and is of interest to all
of them.

However, I've been thinking of perhaps of merging Perl-IL, Python-IL and the
future PHP-IL, Ruby-IL, Lisp-IL, etc. into one club: OSDClub. There are
several reasons for that:

1. Not too many people attend either Perl-IL or Python-IL.

2. By having one common club we can better argue for a better hosting.

3. There are corrolaries between corresponding technologies in different
languages, more often than not.

4. Perl people could use knowing some stuff about Python. Python people could
use to know about Perl. They both could use learning about Ruby. PHP people
can learn about all of them, and everyone could use knowing LISP and
JavaScript better.

5. By meeting only once per month we will miss less workdays, and can better
plan our schedule.

And I'll finish with a little Monty Python:

<<<<<<<<<<<<
Brian: Excuse me. Are you the Judean People's Front?
Reg: Fuck off!
Brian: Excuse me?
Reg: Judean People's Front. We're the People's Front of Judea! Judean People's
Front. Cawk.
Francis: Wankers.
Brian: Can I... join your group?
Reg: No, piss off.
Brian: I don't want to sell this stuff, it's only a job. I hate the Romans as
much as anybody.
Judith: Are you sure?
Brian: Oh, dead sure. I hate the Romans already.
Reg: Listen. If you really wanted to join the P.F.J., you'd have to really
hate the Romans.
Brian: I do!
Reg: Oh, yeah? How much?
Brian: A lot!
Reg: Right. You're in. Listen. The only people we hate more than the Romans
are the fucking Judean People's Front.
Stan: Yeah, the Judean People's Front.
Reg: Yeah. Splitters.
Stan: And the Popular Front of Judea.
Reg: Yeah. Splitters.
Stan: And the People's Front of Judea.
Reg: Yea... what?
Stan: The People's Front of Judea. Splitters.
Reg: We're the People's Front of Judea!
Stan: Oh. I thought we were the Popular Front.
Reg: People's Front!
Francis: Whatever happened to the Popular Front, Reg?
Reg: He's over there. [points to a lone man]
Reg, Stan, Francis, Judith: SPLITTER!

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il