[Israel.pm] Can't use Hebrew with perl on mysql 4.1

Rami Addady rami at active.co.il
Thu Sep 29 00:36:06 PDT 2005

OK now Perl can read and write Hebrew from mysql 4.1.

When the table define as utf, and the data was writing using perl and
mysql 4.1.

The point is I need to import big sqldump of some DBs (from mysql 3.32)
to mysql 4.1.10.
It contain non Unicode Hebrew values.

Perl is not reading the data properly and I don't want to change the
perl application.

I try to convert the sql tables charset after the import using some
mysql command like:
ALTER TABLE `hebtext` CHANGE `hebfield` `hebfield` VARCHAR( 255 )
CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci NOT NULL ...

I try to convert the mysql 3.23 sqldump file before the import using:
iconv -f iso-8859-8 -t utf8 <input.txt >output.txt

But still Perl read and display the old data as ???? .

No problem with new data.

Rami