[Israel.pm] Can't use Hebrew with perl on mysql 4.1

Issac Goldstand issac at perl.org.il
Tue Sep 27 08:58:59 PDT 2005

I was going to point out that Perl 5.8 keeps it strings in Unicode
(utf8, I believe).  To use this with MySQL, simply use utf8_general.  To
convert from ISO-8859-8 to utf8, try doing something like :

use Encode

open IN "iso-8859-8"
open OUT ">utf8"

while (<IN>) {print OUT $_};

You'll need to modify this a bit to work with DB queries but I'm in a
bit of a rush and although I didn't have time to work out the "complete"
solution, I wanted to get you moving in the right direction.

  Yitzchak

PS - Public credit goes to Motke Keshet of Jerusalem.pm from whose
latest presentation I copied the above Encode example.