[Israel.pm] Preparing for the pugs hackathon

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sun Nov 27 23:08:00 PST 2005

On Monday 28 November 2005 08:29, Yuval Kogman wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 07:45:27 +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > Hi Gaal!
> >
> > On Friday 25 November 2005 09:31, Gaal Yahas wrote:
> > It still sounds like it's second-class, now that I read it. And the book
> > library/cinema thing is an extremely bad analogy.
>
> An organized event with a community needs to have at least some
> guidance.

Right, but I don't feel that should be the way for a hackathon.

> No one will tell you "no, don't come - this is perl 6 only", but the
> theme the hackathon is centered on. The idea of a hackathon is
> cooperation and group think. When everyone is working on their own
> thing they might as well be doing this at home.

Wrong! In a hackathon, one feels like he's supposed to hack, and also has the
other people to discuss with, etc. It's a community event. I don't see why we
have to dedicate it to Perl 6 in particular. There are many other parts of
the Perl world that needs someone to tend to, besides just pugs.

> A personal example is that in the Toronto hackathon I spent most my
> time writing a forth machine and canoeing.
>
> While this has nothing to do with perl directly (except that it was
> written in perl 5) it really helped me focus my ideas about
> compilation processes, runtime/compile time linkage, etc.

I see. So I guess it means I can safely work on
Parrot/Phalanax/PONIE/Test::Run/etc.

> This was later dumped on the mailing list, and dare I say those were
> my most valuable contributions.

OK.

> If you come with an antagonistic agenda, don't bother. You sound
> like you're making claims and threats, not trying to join in on the
> fun.

I'm not coming with an antagonistic agenda. I'm not saying you shouldn't work
on Perl 6. ("Do and let do", to quote ESR's "The Cathedral and the Bazaar").
I'm just saying that I have better priorities, and would still like to take
part in the hackathon. These things also help Perl 6 in some amount of
directness. If you wrote a forth machine in Perl 5 in a hackathon, then I
guess I can do that.

Can you point to a single threat I made? (see the archives).

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il

bottom 5%.