[Israel.pm] Preparing for the pugs hackathon

Yuval Kogman nothingmuch at woobling.org
Sun Nov 27 22:29:17 PST 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 07:45:27 +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> Hi Gaal!
>
> On Friday 25 November 2005 09:31, Gaal Yahas wrote:
> It still sounds like it's second-class, now that I read it. And the book
> library/cinema thing is an extremely bad analogy.

An organized event with a community needs to have at least some
guidance.

No one will tell you "no, don't come - this is perl 6 only", but the
theme the hackathon is centered on. The idea of a hackathon is
cooperation and group think. When everyone is working on their own
thing they might as well be doing this at home.

A personal example is that in the Toronto hackathon I spent most my
time writing a forth machine and canoeing.

While this has nothing to do with perl directly (except that it was
written in perl 5) it really helped me focus my ideas about
compilation processes, runtime/compile time linkage, etc.

This was later dumped on the mailing list, and dare I say those were
my most valuable contributions.

If you come with an antagonistic agenda, don't bother. You sound
like you're making claims and threats, not trying to join in on the
fun.

 /\  kung foo master: /me sushi-spin-kicks : neeyah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!