[Israel.pm] Preparing for the pugs hackathon

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sun Nov 27 21:45:27 PST 2005

Hi Gaal!

On Friday 25 November 2005 09:31, Gaal Yahas wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 06:36:10PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > > My most important question for you is: do you want to join?
> >
> > I'd like to join only on the condition that I will not work on pugs
> > per-ce but instead on one or more of the following things:
> >
> > 1. Parrot - the new VM for Perl 5/Perl 6 or other languages.
> >
> > 2. PONIE - the Perl 5 implementation to run above Parrot.
> >
> > 3. Phalanx - Improving the Kwalitee of the most important perl 5 modules.
> >
> > 4. Other random perl 5 hacktivity. (like Test::Run -
> > http://search.cpan.org/dist/Test-Run/)
> >
> > In the previous Hackathon, someone was disappointed when I told him I
> > want to work on improving the HTML::Parser test coverage for Phalanx.
> > "Well if you want to work on P5 rather than P6...". I don't want Perl 5
> > hacking to be considered a second-class hacktivity.
>
> Nobody's considering it second class; it's just not what we want to
> do. Regardless of your opinion of cinema, a book library isn't the best
> place for watching films, right?
>
> You are very much welcome to work on Perl 6 related projects, so if you
> want to work on parrot by all means do; I think it will be more fruitful
> during the hackathon if you worked on something *in* parrot that pugs
> is wanting *from* parrot. Of course, nobody knows what that'll be in
> three months, but there's always something.

It still sounds like it's second-class, now that I read it. And the book
library/cinema thing is an extremely bad analogy.

> > I also would need an account on Linux. Hacking on Perl Projects on
> > Windows using cygwin is something I did in the previous Pugs Hackathon,
> > and a simple "make test" with coverage took a lot of time. I cannot work
> > like that - cygwin is incredibly slow. I'd rather not have an account on
> > Mac OS X, whose desktop I loath with all my passion, unless there's a
> > fully Windows-like IceWM or (more preferably) KDE installation there that
> > I can use. I may be able to get a laptop from home which I can install
> > and run Linux on, but I'm not sure.
>
> Let me make perfectly clear that this is a grass-roots event! If you
> don't bring your own computer, how can you expect there to be one
> provided for you?

Actually, that's not what I need. I believe I can bring a computer, and the
only problem is that it will run Windows. So I'd like to have an account on a
different computer on the LAN (running Linux) where I can login using VNC or
whatever, and be able to run programs there.

> If you think you may not have a computer to work on,
> it'll be your private reponsibility to secure one. Of course, you could
> ask people you know from the list for this, and even request that they
> install all sorts of things for you, but that would be a personal favor
> they'd be doing you, not someone's duty. Think "bring your own beer",
> or alternatively "stone soup".

OK.

> > All of this is excluding potential future priorities, like work, etc.
>
> While this is a fine response for now, when registration time comes you
> will need to decide more seriously if you are coming or not. Please
> appreciate that it's hard to organize things in real life when
> participants think it's okay to cancel on a whim.

OK. If I believe I can attend, I will register, pay the necessary money, etc.
At the worst case in this case, you will get my money, but I won't be able
tot attend.

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il

bottom 5%.