[Israel.pm] Preparing for the pugs hackathon

Gaal Yahas gaal at forum2.org
Thu Nov 24 23:31:01 PST 2005

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 06:36:10PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > My most important question for you is: do you want to join?
>
> I'd like to join only on the condition that I will not work on pugs per-ce but
> instead on one or more of the following things:
>
> 1. Parrot - the new VM for Perl 5/Perl 6 or other languages.
>
> 2. PONIE - the Perl 5 implementation to run above Parrot.
>
> 3. Phalanx - Improving the Kwalitee of the most important perl 5 modules.
>
> 4. Other random perl 5 hacktivity. (like Test::Run -
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Test-Run/)
>
> In the previous Hackathon, someone was disappointed when I told him I want to
> work on improving the HTML::Parser test coverage for Phalanx. "Well if you
> want to work on P5 rather than P6...". I don't want Perl 5 hacking to be
> considered a second-class hacktivity.

Nobody's considering it second class; it's just not what we want to
do. Regardless of your opinion of cinema, a book library isn't the best
place for watching films, right?

You are very much welcome to work on Perl 6 related projects, so if you
want to work on parrot by all means do; I think it will be more fruitful
during the hackathon if you worked on something *in* parrot that pugs
is wanting *from* parrot. Of course, nobody knows what that'll be in
three months, but there's always something.

> I also would need an account on Linux. Hacking on Perl Projects on Windows
> using cygwin is something I did in the previous Pugs Hackathon, and a simple
> "make test" with coverage took a lot of time. I cannot work like that -
> cygwin is incredibly slow. I'd rather not have an account on Mac OS X, whose
> desktop I loath with all my passion, unless there's a fully Windows-like
> IceWM or (more preferably) KDE installation there that I can use. I may be
> able to get a laptop from home which I can install and run Linux on, but I'm
> not sure.

Let me make perfectly clear that this is a grass-roots event! If you
don't bring your own computer, how can you expect there to be one
provided for you? If you think you may not have a computer to work on,
it'll be your private reponsibility to secure one. Of course, you could
ask people you know from the list for this, and even request that they
install all sorts of things for you, but that would be a personal favor
they'd be doing you, not someone's duty. Think "bring your own beer",
or alternatively "stone soup".

But if you believe The Organizers ought to furnish the event with a
complete computing setup, okay, that's a valid opinion. Please discuss
how you expect that to be accomplished, i.e., how many computers would
need to be rented/borrowed, how they should be transported, who should
wire them up, how much all this is going to cost and where are we going
to get money for this.

> All of this is excluding potential future priorities, like work, etc.

While this is a fine response for now, when registration time comes you
will need to decide more seriously if you are coming or not. Please
appreciate that it's hard to organize things in real life when
participants think it's okay to cancel on a whim.

--
Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org>
http://gaal.livejournal.com/