[Israel.pm] Preparing for the pugs hackathon

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Thu Nov 24 08:36:10 PST 2005

On Wednesday 23 November 2005 20:24, Gaal Yahas wrote:
> Hello!
>
> As you've probably heard, we're holding a hackathon just before the
> conference. This is currently planned to take place on 21-25 February.
>
> The hackathon is a chance to concentrate on developing pugs together
> with Larry and Autrijus. It should be quite an experience! However, for
> it to be successful, we need to know that people who are coming have
> already gotten their feet wet in pugs development: the hackathon is not
> a tutorial.
>
> Getting involved in pugs does of course take some effort, but there's an
> extremely helpful community to help you take off. And there are three
> more months to learn. If you think you may be interested, now is the
> time to start.
>
> The registration deadline for the hackathon is 21 December, that is
> about one month from today and two before the event itself. I would
> like, however, to test the water now, so we know how to plan, what kind
> of a venue to get, what sponsorship to seek, and so on.
>

> My most important question for you is: do you want to join?

I'd like to join only on the condition that I will not work on pugs per-ce but
instead on one or more of the following things:

1. Parrot - the new VM for Perl 5/Perl 6 or other languages.

2. PONIE - the Perl 5 implementation to run above Parrot.

3. Phalanx - Improving the Kwalitee of the most important perl 5 modules.

4. Other random perl 5 hacktivity. (like Test::Run -
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Test-Run/)

In the previous Hackathon, someone was disappointed when I told him I want to
work on improving the HTML::Parser test coverage for Phalanx. "Well if you
want to work on P5 rather than P6...". I don't want Perl 5 hacking to be
considered a second-class hacktivity.

I also would need an account on Linux. Hacking on Perl Projects on Windows
using cygwin is something I did in the previous Pugs Hackathon, and a simple
"make test" with coverage took a lot of time. I cannot work like that -
cygwin is incredibly slow. I'd rather not have an account on Mac OS X, whose
desktop I loath with all my passion, unless there's a fully Windows-like
IceWM or (more preferably) KDE installation there that I can use. I may be
able to get a laptop from home which I can install and run Linux on, but I'm
not sure.

All of this is excluding potential future priorities, like work, etc.

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il

bottom 5%.