[Israel.pm] Apache/mod_perl help

Scott Weisman sweisman at pobox.com
Mon Nov 14 23:25:07 PST 2005

Thanks for that answer! I knew about the principal of the chunked
encoding scheme, but never studied how it worked in practice.

However (ha you knew this was coming, didn't you) I looked further and
found that yes indeed, all responses to the server are indeed chunked
with the same bytes before and after.

I guess another possibility is that one of the extensions I installed
is causing the problem. But even this would be strange, since I upload
files to other sites all the time with no problem.

In any case, thanks for your explanation and helping me eliminate one
avenue of investigation.

Scott
On 11/15/05, Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 03:11:29AM +0200, Scott Weisman wrote:
> > POST /admin/control/upload HTTP/1.1
> [...]
> > Here's the response header:
> >
> > HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> [...]
> > Transfer-Encoding: chunked
> >
> > 6873
> >
> > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
> > <head>
> > <title>Branch Control</title>
> >

> > 0
> >
> > Notice the "6873" at the beginning and the "0" at the end? Those don't
> > belong there, and I can't figure out why they are showing up! The
> > value at the beginning does differ, but always seems to be 4
> > chararacters.
>
> In most HTTP messages, the sending end knows the length of the message
> in advance and can send in a "Content-length:" header. What you're
> seeing here is "chunked" transfer encoding, which is a scheme designed
> to allow sending out data without (or before) knowing its length.
>
> 6873 (in hex) means there are 26739 bytes (decimal) in the following
> chunk. It also happened to be the last chunk of data the server had to
> give out, so afterwards you see a "0", not a positive integer. But at
> its discretion, this same message could have been sent out it more than
> one chunk say, 0x6000 and 0x873 bytes.
>
> How to solve your actual problem? I'm not sure what's the Right Thing.
> It's certainly a bug in the web client, which should be reported. As a
> workaround, you could disable HTTP 1.1 in either the client or the
> server -- HTTP 1.0 didn't have chunking. There may be a clever way of
> configuring the server to respond with 1.0 to this browser only, but
> I'm no expert on that.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Gaal
>
> --
> Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org>
> http://gaal.livejournal.com/

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin