[Israel.pm] SOAP::Lite and service exploration from WSDL

David Baird davidlbaird at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 12:33:04 PST 2005

> When you install SOAP::Lite it comes with something called stubmaker.pl
> It's a very short program and needs only SOAP::Lite
> stubmaker the url as an argument and generates a module. The method
> definitions are all placed in a hash called %method.
> . . .
> and it appears to include everything.

While it includes all the method definitions, allowing one to more
easily call the methods in one's Perl code, it doesn't include the
data structures. In cases where I need SOAP::Lite, the data structures
cause me the most difficulties, especially where members of the
structures can be arrays other structures, and in some cases, arrays
of mixed types.

The data structures of SOAP can be very complex, and SOAP::Lite fails
to assist as much as languages like C# and Java, which can access
those same data structures in easy to construct native objects.

-David