[Israel.pm] finding fuul name of a function

Anatoly Vorobey mellon at pobox.com
Tue Mar 8 05:01:48 PST 2005

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 11:58:14AM +0200, Gaal Yahas wrote:
>     grep -r '^sub foo' src/
>

> If this is a function call, look at the use lines -- the function has
> probably been
> exported from one of modules this code calls import on.
>
> If this is a method call, walk @ISA; the good news is that you can do this
> programmatically.
>
> If this is tricky code that uses AUTOLOAD, you're in for some quality
> time with yout tracer hat.

And if all else fails, build a debug version of the interpreter; study
the internal bytecode structure; chant the sv.h macros till you remember
them by heart; plunge into gdb and follow the sucker all the way through
and to the other side of sanity --

You'll learn a lot that way about perl and how it works. And you'll be
able to thank me for the advice, from the hospital.

--
avva
"There's nothing simply good, nor ill alone" -- John Donne