[Israel.pm] Looking for good Perl programmers ?

Yona Shlomo yona at cs.technion.ac.il
Wed Jun 29 21:31:10 PDT 2005

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Gabor Szabo wrote:

> What do you think ?Any ideas ?

Yes.

Assuming that most/all experienced Perl programmers are
indeed happily employed, and assuming that there are some
employers who need experienced Perl programmers (the latter
assumption seems to be true due to the last surge in job
posts and also phone calls I got. This also supports Gabor's
conclusion on this), why won't such employers try and
participate in the local Perl Mongers activities by
describing the skills required for their desired Perl
programmers. We, in turn, can try and steer our monthly
meetings' lectures (or some of them anyway) in that
direction. I think that this can be a win-win for us all:
 	* We get lectures more focused on "market needs"
 	* Potential job seekers can get at least the preliminaries for desired skills
 	* Employers can potentilly hope to get more relevant responses to their job posts
Now how about that?

I am realistic that no one or 10 lectures will turn a newbie
into an experienced Perl programmer, but I do believe that
this is a helpful and meaningful step in that direction,
especially if such lectures will be conducted by more
experienced members of our Perl Mongers group.

Another suggestion (which is admittedly isn't my own
original idea, I think that I first heard that Gabor
suggested it) would be to dedicate part of our monthly
meeting time (or perhaps some other additional time) to Perl
programming workshops, where a problem, or list of problems
will be presented to the participants, and during the
session, several directions towards solving that problem in
Perl will be suggested and implemented. Workshops of such
kind have been proven to be useful.
A similar, though less demanding alternative would be a
workshop where members will bring their own Perl related
problems to the meeting forum where participants will
collectively try and help solve the presented problems. This
too have been proven useful.

How about that?

--
Shlomo Yona