[Israel.pm] Looking for good Perl programmers ?

Pinkhas Nisanov nisanov at netvision.net.il
Tue Jun 28 22:57:46 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 03:38 pm, Gabor Szabo wrote:
> What do you think ?Any ideas ?

1 programmer with powerful tool can do much more than 10 programmers
with bad tool, so there always less job offers for powerful programmers.
You can say, it can explain small grow, but not decline.
Lets see how companies start to develop in perl. Some
programmer in some company write some perl to solve small problem.
He did it fast, good, without any permissions from management,
in free time. Managers give him more problem to solve,
because this programmers do it much faster. Managers at
some point ask him how he do it so fast? Programmer explain
that it's PERL. Managers say: "WOW,  all our programmers
now will develop in PERL!". Here actually the point.
Our loved Perl is so powerful, that in unexperienced hands becomes
nuclear bomb and not nuclear plant. I saw so many bad
programmers that need to maintain perl code written by
someone else ( usually fired ) and results of this "maintain".
In perl you can develop code fast, but when programmer
is bad amount of bugs grow much faster than other platforms.
Many companies abandon perl because they can't ( or do not want )
find good programmers and it's easier to manage bad programmers
with tools like java, c#, ... (I think that's reason why Paul Graham
said he don't afraid from competitors that looking for java programmers
 - http://www.paulgraham.com/avg.html ).
Perl will never become mainstreem, because his power - TIMTOWTDI - is
too dangerous, but he always will be "elite" weapon for "special force"
units.

best regards
Pinkhas Nisanov