[Israel.pm] perl program life cycle

Offer Kaye offer.kaye at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 14:59:23 PDT 2005

On 6/14/05, Sagiv Barhoom wrote:

> As far as I know, Perl does not compile the code rather interpert the text.
> Can any one refer me to a very simple explanation  about Perl program life cycle?

According to perlrun:
"After locating your program, Perl compiles the entire program to an
internal form. If there are any compilation errors, execution of the
program is not attempted. (This is unlike the typical shell script,
which might run part-way through before finding a syntax error.)"

perlcompile also mentions that "Perl has always had a compiler: your
source is compiled into an internal form (a parse tree) which is then
optimized before being run."

The distinction between an interpreter and a compiler is not at all
that obvious and I don't think perl (5) can be classified as a pure
interpreter:
"There is thus a spectrum of possibilities between interpreting and
compiling, depending on the amount of analysis performed before the
program is executed."
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpreter_%28computing%29 )

HTH,
--