[Israel.pm] perl program life cycle

Sagiv Barhoom sagivba at 012.net.il
Tue Jun 14 00:57:34 PDT 2005

Hey all,
I am reading about the an article "/o is dead, long live qr//!" from the perlmonk site:
http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=269035

I read a line which I do not understand:
"...The qr// operator (defined in perlop) allows you to have $HUGE_REGEX be precompiled during the script compilation time (instead of runtime - this might be important for mod_perl users) and potentially greater control over expression changes. ..."

As far as I know, Perl does not compile the code rather interpert the text.
Can any one refer me to a very simple explanation  about Perl program life cycle?

Regards Sagiv