[Israel.pm] Perl-IL Wiki - Take II

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Fri Jun 3 08:34:19 PDT 2005

On Friday 03 June 2005 16:26, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> On 02 Jun 2005 22:58:56 +0200, David Baird wrote:
> > > 1. MediaWiki - http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net/ - a very good wiki
> > > implementation, very powerful, and easy to setup, etc. Has excellent
> > > support for internationalization. Only downside as far as we're
> > > concerned is that it's written in PHP.
> >
> > It took me one day to get a MediaWiki site running, and another two
>
> The other two are more or less: download and load in the browser.

Actually, kwiki is a bit more problematic, as it requires some CPAN stuff, and
then running an executable (kwiki-install). If the modules were not installed
in a global path it is even more complicated. (or at least was the last time
I tried it with CGI::Kwiki).

But MediaWiki is also mostly download and load, too.

> > days to integrate it in our standard look and feel for web pages, and
>
> I think, there is no standard look&feel to set in our case; maybe just
> sync with the css used for the main site.

Right.

> > use our NIS for user login rather than yet another password to
> > remember.
>
> NIS is something that will never be needed for a FOSS group wiki, since
> it is intended to be world-open, as opposed to closed company needs.

Right.

> > So what that it is written in PHP and not Perl, it works well, and the
> > source code is easy to understand and navigate.
>
> The language argument is arguably the most relevant for a wiki named
> wiki.perl.org.il. The only reason for Israel.PM existing is a language.
> This would be not an argument for a wiki used internally for a company.

Yes, but Perl is about plurarility. And using a great technology written in
another language is not an indication of defeat, because you can write good
frameworks in many other languages besides Perl and some people prefer that.
Even Planet Perl (http://planet.perl.org/) uses PlanetPlanet which is written
in Python, and we also use Mailman which is written in Python as well.

I should note that I also set up a MediaWiki in http://www.python.org.il/,
without too much resistance, and people seem perfectly happy with it.

> In the end, the people who will admin it and actually write the content
> and change templates should decide on which wiki to use. And since it
> will be Shlomi, I don't really know why he needed to ask. :)

Just wanted to ask for your opinion. At the moment, I'm leaning towards
MediaWiki.

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il

Tcl is LISP on drugs. Using strings instead of S-expressions for closures
is Evil with one of those gigantic E's you can find at the beginning of
paragraphs.