[Israel.pm] Perl-IL Wiki - Take II

Mikhael Goikhman migo at homemail.com
Fri Jun 3 06:26:20 PDT 2005

On 02 Jun 2005 22:58:56 +0200, David Baird wrote:

> > 1. MediaWiki - http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net/ - a very good wiki
> > implementation, very powerful, and easy to setup, etc. Has excellent support
> > for internationalization. Only downside as far as we're concerned is that
> > it's written in PHP.
>
> It took me one day to get a MediaWiki site running, and another two

The other two are more or less: download and load in the browser.

> days to integrate it in our standard look and feel for web pages, and

I think, there is no standard look&feel to set in our case; maybe just
sync with the css used for the main site.

> use our NIS for user login rather than yet another password to
> remember.

NIS is something that will never be needed for a FOSS group wiki, since
it is intended to be world-open, as opposed to closed company needs.

> So what that it is written in PHP and not Perl, it works well, and the
> source code is easy to understand and navigate.

The language argument is arguably the most relevant for a wiki named
wiki.perl.org.il. The only reason for Israel.PM existing is a language.
This would be not an argument for a wiki used internally for a company.

In the end, the people who will admin it and actually write the content
and change templates should decide on which wiki to use. And since it
will be Shlomi, I don't really know why he needed to ask. :)

Regards,
Mikhael.