[Israel.pm] Perl-IL Wiki - Take II

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Thu Jun 2 04:38:05 PDT 2005

Hi all!

With Gabor's help, we're going to direct http://wiki.perl.org.il/ to eskimo (=
iglu.org.il), and set up a wiki there.

Now, the question is: which Wiki implementation?

Some potential candidates:

1. MediaWiki - http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net/ - a very good wiki
implementation, very powerful, and easy to setup, etc. Has excellent support
for internationalization. Only downside as far as we're concerned is that
it's written in PHP.

2. Oddmuse - http://www.oddmuse.org/cgi-bin/wiki - a much improved fork of
UseModWiki. Written in Perl and easy to set up, but not as powerful as
MediaWiki. Also doesn't use a database, so may not scale as well. (not that
it is of a concern to us).

3. Kwiki - kwiki is nice and modular but its syntax is incredibly lame. It is
possible to write alternate syntax engines, but none was written for
MediaWiki yet.[1] Another problem is that getting it to run on Debian Woody
would be painful, and we'll have to wait until we upgrade eskimo to Sarge.

I am leaning towards MediaWiki, but naturally accept other opinions. In
regards to using a PHP app makes us Perl-Mongers look bad, you may wish to
refer to:

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2000/12/advocacy.html

[1] - hobbs from Freenode has written a MediaWiki-to-HTML converter in Perl.
The only problem with it is that its' susceptible to many XSS attacks, and so
will require some work. I volunteered to help, and others who are interested
may also do that.

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il

Tcl is LISP on drugs. Using strings instead of S-expressions for closures
is Evil with one of those gigantic E's you can find at the beginning of
paragraphs.