[Israel.pm] Perl and Unicode file names

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Thu Feb 24 04:27:03 PST 2005

On Thursday 24 February 2005 13:11, Peter Gordon wrote:
> Hi Guys.
> I need some help with a project that I have. I have to copy files using
> Perl to different places and the filenames may be in Hebrew, Chinese,
> Korean etc.
> The problem is, that filenames, when using opendir, are returned as
> question marks. In the DOS box I have set the codepage to 862. So DIR
> returns accented characters, but Perl still returns question marks. I
> have also set "use utf8", but that didn't help either.

Works for me. The following program:

opendir D, "/dosd/Music/mp3/";
my @files = readdir(D);
open O, ">dump.txt";
print O (map { "$_\n" } @files);

Prints the Hebrew filenames with their accents. My locale is en_US/en_AU.
(non-Unicode). I'm using perl-5.8.5 on Mandrake Linux 10.1.

It would be more helpful if you said what Perl version and operating system
you're using and what is your locale.

	Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il