[Israel.pm] neural network and perl

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Tue Feb 22 10:42:05 PST 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, amit sides wrote:

> I need to write a perl program that parse an image and find out what number
> is writen in it.
> the image could be gif/jpeg/gpg.

There are many ways to approach this problem.
One of them is by training neural networks with tagged
examples.

> anyways i didnt find any full HOWTO about this thing...just a littel projects
> about this subject.

Read a book (or some chapters from a book) about it. For
example:
Fundamentals of Neural Networks
by Laurene V. Fausett
(see chapter 2 for example, it explains about characters).

I actually implemented such a thing in a course I did a few
years ago. I implemented it in Perl. But since you're not
looking for a "download assignment" and want to to it by
yourself in order to learn something, I suggest you read a
book or an article on the subject.

You can get some basic concepts about classification and how
to approach a classification problem in Perl using lectures
slides from a lecture I gave in one of the Perl mongers
meetings:
A Part of Speech Tagger for Hebrew using Perceptron. Shlomo
Yona. December 2004. A talk given in an Israel.pm meeting.
See:
http://cs.haifa.ac.il/~shlomo/talks/pos_tagging_using_perceptron/slides/slide1.html

--
Shlomo Yona