[Israel.pm] rapid CGI application

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Wed Feb 16 00:34:53 PST 2005

Hello,

I'm trying to be able to rapidly annotate some text using a
web-based GUI.

I have a text file containing lines.
Every relevant line starts with the followin pattern

(?:[YN]\t){2}

that is, a line begins with either Y or N, followed by a tab
and an additional Y or N, followed by a tab. The remainder
of the line can contain arbitrary text that terminates with
a newline character.

I want to write a CGI script that has access to such a file
from the filesystem, reads it, and displays it as HTML to
the user agent (e.g., bworser) in the following manner:

[checkbox for question 1] [checkbox for question 2] [submit button] [content of line]

and for every line of the file.

I'd like the useragent's user to be able to check (or
uncheck) the checkboxes (thus toggling through Y/N values)
and by pressing a submit button (any of the submit buttons)
have the HTML data updated in the file at the server (i.e.,
this update can only alter the Y/N values that are in the
first two columns of the file in some/all of the lines).

Any suggestions for the most quick-N-dirty way of doing
this, with as little hassle as possible?

The only important thing here is to be able to rapidly build
the script that allows such "form filling" in a way that is
persistant with the file. Of course, the file is the
resource I need for later processing (the CGI and HTML are
just an aid for rapid annotations and perhaps viewing).

Thanks.

--
Shlomo Yona
shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il