Report on the "Meeting" [was Re: [Israel.pm] Tomorrow's meeting]

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Fri Dec 9 14:36:58 PST 2005

On Thursday 08 December 2005 16:27, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> On Thursday 08 December 2005 16:11, Offer Kaye wrote:
> > > Does this mean you are taller than me? :)  Ok, i.
> >
> > Hmm, only 5 people... I think we'd better cancel this time..
>
> Offer, are you serious?
>
> In Telux we had post-meeting café meetings with only two or three people -
> they were still fun. And many people probably looked forward to attend the
> meeting since last month, and could not acknowledge their presence at this
> time.
>
> I talked with Offer on the phone and he said that while he won't attend, he
> don't mind us getting together. So, please call me at 054-6232377 if you're
> planning to come. We'll meet at the "Coffee to Go" near the Einstein gate
> of the university, (the main gate, called "Sha'ar 7"), and we'll see where
> we go from there. If in doubt, call my cell-phone.

Well, I came to the meeting, and arrive at "Coffee to Go" on 18:30. I only had
the cellphone of MiGo and he informed me that he needs Offer for the ride,
and since Offer could not arrive, he'd rather not as well. I waited a bit.
While I had walked there I had decided that if no-one arrives at the meeting,
I would join some people at the café for some conversation and food, and try
to have a good time regardless if anyone arrives.

Shortly before 19:00, I gave up on waiting, and decided to join a table. I
noticed a table where two girls sat, in which part of the conversation took
part in English, with one of them speaking in a native accent. So I asked (in
English) "Can I join you?" and was told that I could. Then I was asked by the
other girl in Hebrew "How's your Hebrew?" I told her my Hebrew was excellent.

As it turned out I interrupted a Hebrew lesson. However, the Hebrew's tutor
English was quite bad, and the Hebrew of her student's (= an American student
at TAU) was still quite weak, and as a result, they needed me as a
translator. I daresay the tutor's Hebrew was probably better than mine, as
she was able to spell Hebrew words with diacritics (including nouns) -
something that I'm not confident of doing.

When I sat there I ordered fruit tea, and then some Pasta, and finally a
pitcher of water. Meanwhile, we were teaching the American student some
Hebrew, and the Hebrew tutor some English. It was a lot of fun.

We ended up parting on our ways. The Hebrew tutor noted my phone numbers (for
such future engagements), and I got the E-mail of the American girl, and we
all went home.

So it wasn't a wasted evening.

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il

bottom 5%.