[Israel.pm] "The Cost of Newlines"

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sun Aug 7 06:13:25 PDT 2005

This is an edited conversation that took place on FreeNode's #perl. It
happened after someone asked how he can do something in one line. I am
"rindolf", but I think some of the messages by other people are funnier.

Enjoy!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
     <rindolf>  sleeper: why are people obsessed with one-liners?
     <rindolf>  It takes 3 lines - OMG what a disaster!
       <Botje>  rindolf: newline prices went up again
     <rindolf>  Botje: I buy my newlines in the black market
 <dabreegster>  Botje: again? drat.
             *  Botje reports rindolf to the newline police
 <dabreegster>  Botje: I know about an... (underground) operation going on to
                pirate newlines.
     <rindolf>  Botje: I bribed a few cops in the newline police, but nice
                try.
 <dabreegster>  Botje: Some crazy guys are trying to free newlines from
                patents! They want to rid the market!
             *  cursor gets called up to serve in the newline jury
     <rindolf>  I think we need to start a campaign to lift all restrictions
                off newlines.
 <dabreegster>  rindolf: La Resistance lives on!\n
       <Botje>  I already stockpiled millions of newlines
 <dabreegster>  Botje: We can have the one-liners destroyed by sundown
 <dabreegster>  Not destroyed, but... TURNED INTO TWO-LINERS! Mwuhahaha!

(This discussion on a slightly different topic had afterwards faded away, and
some time later returned, with a slightly different theme.)

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il

Tcl is LISP on drugs. Using strings instead of S-expressions for closures
is Evil with one of those gigantic E's you can find at the beginning of
paragraphs.