[Israel.pm] simple script question.

Yossi.Itzkovich at ecitele.com Yossi.Itzkovich at ecitele.com
Sun Sep 26 03:13:13 PDT 2004

Hi,

I didn't check it, but I think that the construct of
while (<STDIN>)
does implicit:
while ($_=<STDIN>)

But you don't get it for free in :
<STDIN>

So make it :
$_=<STDIN>

Yossi

                      "Prager, Mark"
                      <Mprager at ndsisra         To:      <perl at perl.org.il>
                      el.com>                  cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject: [Israel.pm] simple script question.
                      perl-bounces at per
                      l.org.il

                      09/26/2004 13:55
                      Please respond
                      to Perl in
                      Israel

Hi -
I am trying to get the following short script to work -

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

while (<STDIN>)
{
        chomp;
        if (/PrintThis/) # if the line contains the word Template - prints
out this line, and the next;
        {
                print "$_\n";
                <STDIN>;
                print "$_\n";
        }
}

The idea is if I have a file as follows:

PrintThis
aaaaa
bbbbb

PrintThis
nnnnn
ddddd

PrintThis
kkkk
lllll

The output would be:

PrintThis
aaaa

PrintThis
nnnnn

PrintThis
kkkkk

However, All I am getting is:

PrintThis
PrintThis
PrintThis

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong ?

Best Regards,

Mark Prager
I & T Engineer, Project Delivery
Binyan Mercazim, Room 514
NDS Technologies Israel Ltd.

5A Hamarpe Street
Har Hotzvim PO BOX 23012
Jerusalem 912235 Israel
Tel:+ 972-2-589-4264
Mob:+ 972-54-566-4264
Fax:+ 972-2-589-4725
mailto:mprager at ndsisrael.com

Information contained in this email message is intended only for use of the
individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to
you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify
the postmaster at nds.com and destroy the original message.