[Israel.pm] returning XML from CGI

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Mon Sep 20 14:27:32 PDT 2004

I have a CGI script that accepts some parameters from a form
and is supposed to return an XML document.

I'm able to return an HTML with the XML document inlined
(after some entity manipulation: mainly transforming < to
&lt; and > to &gt;), but I don't seem to be able to return
an XML document as the HTTP response in a way that is
recognized by the browser as an XML file.

 	print header(-type=>'text/xml', charset=>'UTF-8');
 	print $xml_document

should have done the trick but all the browser shows me is a
blank page. The only way to view the actual document that
was returned is by viewing the page source.

Is there something that I'm missing here?

Shlomo Yona
shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il