[Israel.pm] GMailFS

michael tewner tewner at jct.ac.il
Wed Sep 8 03:42:41 PDT 2004

GmailFS: Cute

At the request of Yuval Yaari, here is a small intro to GmailFS, which
provides your 1Gb gmail account as a mountable Filesystem.

Basically, I followed the instructions at :
http://richard.jones.name/google-hacks/gmail-filesystem/gmail-filesystem.html

I needed to install Fuse, which is a user-space filesystem kernel module.
THen, install libgmail and gmailfs. There are links on the page.

Points to keep in mind:
1. I put my gmail username and password in /usr/local/bin/gmailfs.py and
chmod'ed it to 711. I'm pretty sure I could reduce that to 700, but, well,
I'll try it.

2. THe FS is slow, but usable. ls -l takes a considerable time, even for a
directory with 5 smallish  files.

3. I created a bunch of filters in gmail to automatically archive the
files as they come in. I'm sure there's an easier way to do it, but
currently, I match 'inodeid=', 'inodeblockid=', and 'path='. I archove
those and (optionally,) label them as 'gmailfs'.

4. Well, at this point, it seems to be hung. Hmmm. Perhaps a later version
is needed. It's working after a umount/mount.

ANyway, it's cute.

email for any info

-mike