[Israel.pm] directory changes and embedded perl interpreter on windows

Moshe Kaminsky kaminsky at math.huji.ac.il
Thu Sep 2 12:24:48 PDT 2004

Hi,

I'm working with vim, an enhanced version of the vi text editor with an
embedded perl interpreter. It has versions for both linux and windows.
On windows, I discovered that when I change directory in vim, the
embedded perl interpreter is not aware of this change (if you have vim
on windows, just try
  :cd C:\foo
and then
  :perl use Cwd;VIM::Msg(cwd);
you will see that you are still in the directory where vim was started).
This does not happen on Linux.

I tried to report it as a vim bug, but the author of vim claims that
determining the current working directory is left entirely to the perl
interpreter. Therefore, it should be a general problem when embedding
perl on windows.
Can someone verify it? Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround?

Thanks,
Moshe

                                        -- Douglas Adams

    Moshe Kaminsky <kaminsky at math.huji.ac.il>