[Israel.pm] New course: Regular Expressions for Java, .NET and Perl programmers

Gabor Szabo gabor at perl.org.il
Thu Sep 2 04:04:19 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 Yossi.Itzkovich at ecitele.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> you mention "Mastering Regular Expression" and various tools.  I know there
> are few variants of regex that are not full compatible.

You are saying it very nicely but in fact there are probably no two regex
variants that are full compatible.

> Do you intend to discuss (in details) specific differents between vi's
> regexp and Perl's , just for example ?

To some level I'll discuss the difference but I won't do a full discussion.
For that even a week would not be enough. There are also bugs that bring
you different behavior.

There are two key fields where the regexes of any two tools or languages
(such as vi and Perl) differ

1) part of the regex language
2) how they are used within the environment/language

I'll go into both using examples.

regards