[Israel.pm] Article: Optimizing Perl

Gabor Szabo gabor at perl.org.il
Thu Oct 28 04:11:53 PDT 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Shlomo Yona wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Gabor Szabo wrote:
>
> > He also shows a couple of micro optimisations (such as double quotes
> > single quotes ?) I have not heard this one yet. I keep hearing the
> > question which is faster:
> > print "$x$y";
> > print $x, $y;
> > print $x . $y;
>
> And the answer is...? (I do remember what MJD answered, I'm
> curious what yours is).

> I don't understand the above examples. What's your point?

I don't remember with confidence what MJD said but AFAIK if
you need that level of optimization then you are in a serious
trouble or using the wrong language.

Especially because the I/O of the print will take sooooo much longer
than any of the above computation of the parameter(s).

> > Let's hear Shlomo about data structures ! :)
>
> Great. What are your preferences for such a lecture?

TSTB

The Sooner The Better