[Israel.pm] Article: Optimizing Perl

Yuval Yaari yuval at windax.com
Thu Oct 28 03:16:27 PDT 2004

Shlomo Yona wrote:

> And the answer is...? (I do remember what MJD answered, I'm
> curious what yours is).

Obviously interpolation takes more time.

> I don't understand the above examples. What's your point?

He is being cynic.
The examples on that article are not-so-helpful :)
Moving from a DB file to a real database (the example that Gabor chose)
is a much bigger optimization than moving all your print statements from
print "$a" to print $a...

An article that talks about optimizing sorting in Perl but doesn't
mention our beloved Schwartzian Transform (Randal L. Schwartz), Orcish
Maneuver (Joseph N. Hall) or packed-default-sort (Uri Guttman, right?).
Sheesh...

> Great. What are your preferences for such a lecture?

Please talk about handling with huge (way above 200MB) data-structures
without getting your machine to swap ... :)

  --Yuval