[Israel.pm] Suggestion for lectures

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Wed Oct 27 23:21:24 PDT 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Sagiv Barhoom wrote:

>>> I wonder if there's any interest in a lecture that discusses
>>> data structures?
>> Yes
> me too... but in the context of perl programming.

OK.

> I assume most of us know about data structures and related algorithms ( sorts ,bin and RedBlack trees etc').

I suppose some of us do, but unless I'm told otherwise I
assume that some basic grounds need to be layed out so
everyone benefit from the lecture. I'll find a golden path.

> for me, the really interesting part is how does  one implements data structures in Perl (hash tables are very clumsy way).

Interesting point of view.
I actually think that hashes in Perl make it very elegant
and easy to represent complex data structures. Of course,
putting aside the space complexity...

> how does regexes feet in with the complexity ( O(f(n)) ).

WOW. This is a heavy one.
Regular expressions and their implementation in Perl deserve
a whole special and specific meeting, perhaps even 2
lectures, just to get the basics and understand the
mechanisms.

Well -- Offer, I propose also a lecture about implementation
of regular expressions in Perl (of course, if there are
enough people interested).

> another topic which might interest others, Graphs in Perl. I tries to use Graph::Base but could not compile it.
> I will be happy to hear a lecture about implementation of Graphs in Perl . if most of us know the basic algorithms  (B.F.S,D.F.S,,belmn-ford,ect')
> it will be interesting to see how can one translate this algorithms into readable Perl code.

Explaining a few words about such popular graph algorithms
and their uses and then giving Perl code for them is a great
idea. Thanks.

--
Shlomo Yona
shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il